First marination for butter chicken recipe
- ½ kg chicken (or 1 lb.) (bone-in or boneless)
- ¾ tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Red chili powder or paprika
- ¾ tsp kasuri methi crushed or powdered dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala powder
- ¾ tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup thick curd or hung yogurt (or greek yogurt, refer notes)
For butter chicken sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp caramon
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit
- 4 large tomatoes (pureed in the blender and filtered to remove skin and seeds) or tinned puree as needed
- 1 tsp red chili powder or paprika (adjust to suit your taste and color)
- ¾ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tbsp sugar
- salt as needed
- 80 to 100 ml chilled cream (refer the notes)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
How to make the recipe
Preparation for butter chicken recipe
First marinate chicken with lemon juice, chili powder and salt for 20 minutes.
Next marinate again with yogurt, kasuri methi, oil, turmeric, ginger garlic paste, and garam masala powder.
Refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours. Overnight works best.
Soak almonds or cashews for 1 hour. Remove the skin and make a smooth paste with little water. You can also make it like thick milk.
Puree the tomatoes and set aside. Also make the ginger garlic paste.
How to make butter chicken
Grill the chicken in an oven or stove top. For stove top method, Add one tsp. butter and add the marinade.
Fry on high flame till all the moisture evaporates. Keep stirring constantly to prevent burning. Cook till it is cooked. Transfer this to a plate and set aside.
To grill it in oven, preheat the oven to 240 C for at least 20 mins. Grill it until the meat is cooked well. It may take about 20 to 30 mins depending on the size of your chicken chunks.
Heat a pan with butter. Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms. Fry for a min or two.
Add ginger garlic paste, green chilies and fry till it turns fragrant.
Next pour the tomato puree. Add red chili powder, sugar and salt.
Mix and cook until the tomato puree becomes thick. It also begins to leave the sides of the pan.
Pour 1 cup water. Add add methi powder, cashew or almond paste . Add more or less water to suit your desired consistency.
Bring the mix to a boil and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
Add kasuri methi and garam masala. or add at a later step for the best aroma.
Add chicken. Mix and simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes. The chicken should become soft and tender.
Add garam masala and kasuri methi.
Stir and simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour chilled cream and switch off the stove.
Garnish butter chicken with coriander leaves and extra cream if desired. Serve with long grain rice or naan or paratha.
[wpforms id=”6447″ title=”false” description=”false”]